Wednesday, July 13, 2016

His yoke is easy

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
Why is it that we carry our burdens around until we are so weary we can hardly stand?  We become spiritually dry, physically worn out, emotionally drained, and the list goes on.  I think we often think of "casting our burdens on the Lord" to mean that we should give them to Him and go about our business as usual.  I'm tired of dealing with this, you take it, Lord.  Now I can get on with my business.  As I was reading this passage recently I focused on the phrase, "For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."  What???  Give me a burden?  But Lord, I am trying to give the burdens to you!  I don't want anymore burdens!  
I am realizing the older I get that this isn't what Jesus meant in this passage at all.  What is this burden that Jesus says is light?  The Greek word used in this passage is the same one used in the gospels when Jesus is speaking of marriage.  "What God has joined together, let no man separate." (Mark 10:9)  People even refer to being married as "getting hitched". If we are joined or yoked together with Christ, he promises that his yoke is easy to bear and the burden is light.  We have to take up our cross.  That is the burden.  The burden of sin we were once under is too heavy a weight to bear.  We will be crushed, bruised, and dead in our sin.  Picking up our cross, yoking ourselves to Almighty God, we are able to navigate the burdens of this side of heaven while "married" to our Lord and Savior.  He will never leave or forsake us. He will never divorce us.  He will never discard or overlook us.  He wants to teach me.  He could just do it all and never give me a second thought.  Instead, he humbles himself and is gentle.  He teaches me every step of the way.  I am stubborn and lazy and would give up if I were not yoked to Him for life.  Humble and gentle, forever teaching me despite my stubbornness and sin.  

Thank you, sweet Jesus for your gentleness.  You did not say there would be no burden, only that it would be light because You are guiding and teaching me.  


No comments: