Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Respite

I'm tired.  I have had a sinus infection this week on the heels of a very busy few weeks.  I didn't think I was going to make it all day at work today.  I prayed several times for extra strength, and the Lord provided.  I gathered up my things after school and decided to leave on time.  I stopped by the store to get some things for a small salad to go along with some chicken and rice I had cooked in the crock pot earlier this week.  I sent the kids upstairs to finish homework and practice.  After seeing to the four-legged family members, I set everything on the stove to warm, mixed up the salad (love the ready-made salad in a bag), and made some iced tea.  I turned on the fireplace, grabbed my favorite blanket, sat on the sofa and picked up a book.   It was a strange, but wonderful half hour.  I read next to the fireplace under a blanket as if I had nothing else to do.  I curled up on the sofa and put our of my mind the three-hour college course looming over my head, the laundry pile growing minute by minute, a house to clean, and supper to finish.  But I chose to sit by the fire and read under my favorite blanket....in the quiet.

Homework was finished.  Practicing completed.  The giggles that go along with dancing in the bedroom started seeping through the ceiling along with the rattling of the floor above me.    I haven't heard those sounds in many weeks.  Life has been busy.  Unscheduled, free play has not existed.

But for today, we led a quiet life....at least after 5:00.  The day up until then had been far from quiet and unhurried.  This little respite was very welcome and appreciated.

Until we meet again.....  

No comments: