Monday, February 27, 2012

The Balance Beam

I have always been fascinated with the balance beam.  I love watching the summer Olympic games, especially gymnastics.  Not only is it athletic and competitive, but it is absolutely beautiful and graceful.  I am amazed at the skill of the gymnasts when they get on the balance beam.  With poise and control they navigate the beam and perform a beautifully choreographed routine from start to finish.....and make it look effortless.  We all know it is not.  Even the slightest miscalculation and they can fall.

I understand more and more the importance of a well choreographed routine in my life.  Without it, my beam routine will be a disaster every time.  Choreographing my daily routine takes time, thought, and yes....practice.  Oftentimes I choreograph my routine in its entirety instead of building it over time.  There is something to be said about building a great routine.

I can't do it all.  I can't do it all at once.  I also have to teach this to my children so they don't make the same mistakes I have.  One thing at a time.  One element at a time.  It takes well-balanced walking and navigating the beam to be able to add a flip, a stunt, a turn...  If I can't walk and navigate securely, I might as well add some extra padding to the uniform because I am surely going to fall hard.

I think I need to spend some time walking and navigating.  The flips will come.  Fancy footwork will be needed at times.  I pray my dismount is amazing.  It all depends on what happens along the way!  As long as I stay balanced on my beam, I can dismount with joy and confidence.  I'm not ready to dismount yet....though there are days!  Until then, I will work on my balance until it is effortless.

No comments: