Friday, August 5, 2011

Glitter and Glue

When I was a little girl I loved the days my teacher would pull out the bottles of glitter for art projects.  I remember one project in particular.  We were to use our bottle of Elmer's Glue to make any design we wanted on the construction paper.  We could write our name, draw a picture, or do any random design we wanted to.  Such freedom!  So many choices!  I decided I was going to do as many swirls and loops as I could fit on the page.  Then we were to take the glitter and sprinkle it all over our paper.  We could use one color or mix them.  There was gold, silver, red, blue and green glitter.  So many choices!  What was a girl to do?  Use them all, of course!  I began sprinkling each color at random all over my paper of glue swirls and by the time I finished it was covered in glitter and quite a mess......ugly actually.  I looked at the girl's paper next to me and she had used only three colors of glitter and was very careful how she placed it.  (The inside of her desk was also clean.)   Oh well.  What was done was done.  I would just have to wait to see how mine would turn out.   We were to wait until the Elmer's glue had time to dry.  I was a little worried because I had used quite a bit of glue on my paper.   Our teacher probably read us a book in another part of the room to distract us and get us away from our desks....but most likely this was after a bathroom break and a good hand washing.  When the distraction period was over she sent us back to our desks to finish our masterpiece.  We all patiently waited while the garbage can was brought around the room to each desk so we could dispose of our excess glitter.  This is when the magic happened.  As I let the glitter slide off the construction paper it revealed a beautifully designed masterpiece of swirls, loops and squiggles in beautiful colors.  I was amazed!

I was praying the other morning on the way to work and asking God to order my steps.  I have quite a bit on my mind and I am working on sifting through it all.  I asked God to bring clarity to how to prioritize and see what was truly important.  As I was praying, God reminded me that He has designed my life.  He has a beautiful plan for me.  I have to continually fix my eyes on Him in order to follow this plan.  Oftentimes there are distractions along the way that get me off track.  I am distracted by things that are more attractive......like the glitter bottles in all the colors of the rainbow!  Sometimes by our own doing...and sometimes by life's circumstances we get our beautifully designed masterpiece of glue covered in so much glitter that we can no longer see the intended design.  Life gets messy.  As I continued to pray I asked the Lord to help me blow away the excess and unnecessary glitz and glitter and make clear what He wanted me to focus on and do.  He allowed me to see that in doing this brings peace......His peace.  God also showed me that as I begin to blow away the excess glitter around my life I am seeing how much time and effort has been wasted in things not of eternal value.  What began as beautiful bottles of glitter in specific and intentional colors have become an unintentional and unidentifiable mess.

I am taking my paper to the garbage can and asking the Lord to help me blow away the excess.  I want to see what is left behind.  I know it will be beautiful.....and just the thought of that brings me peace.

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."
Isaiah 26:3

No comments: