Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I may be wilted, but I'm not dead!

I had a good chuckle over this today.  This is probably the best visual of where I am physically, mentally and spiritually.  I'm sure my husband is secretly chuckling to himself but for very different reasons....reasons that simply have to do with the fact I have never kept a plant alive----ever!

We were driving downtown the other night to my daughter's violin and piano recital when I suddenly GASPED in horror because I realized that I hadn't watered my tomato plant in days or maybe even over a week.  This is quite a sore spot with my husband.  Not the plant, but the GASPING in the car without warning.  He suddenly thinks he's about to have a wreck or hit something he doesn't see, when all the while I'm just in my own world panicking over things I have forgotten to do or turn off.  This is the story of my life.  Things get so busy that being still for even a short ride in the car can cause me to literally come unglued because my mind will "rest" on all the "unrest" or "undone" tasks.  I have been in bed recently and practiced breathing techniques I preach to my students all the time.  I try to fill my lungs with oxygen in order to calm my mind and body.  It hasn't been working.  I don't sleep.  I wake up frequently in the night.  When I try to connect with God I feel like I can only get so far but my soil is never quite quenched.  I watered this sad tomato plant this morning.  I went back into the house to refill my watering can (...which I purchased brand new because I was going to become a master gardener).  By the time I returned to the deck to water the other plants, my wilting plant was already dry again.  I watered the other two plants and they looked satisfied.  What was the problem?  I remembered that I bought my plant with one green tomato on the vine.  It came with the soil provided.  The other two I planted myself in pots with organic soil that holds water for longer periods of time.

This is like our walk with the Lord.  When we invest in things kingdom worthy we will not wither as fast when the storms come and the weather is unpredictable.  But if we invest in things that do not satisfy us spiritually, eventually the soil will not be able to help us but for just a short while.

I read a quote by Robert J. Morgan recently.  He said, "I have found that through scripture memory the incredible treasures of Scripture are not only just available to my mind, but they inform my whole being in a way that is a substantial testimony to the power of the Word of God."  He also said this in regards to our minds:  "A person's mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild; but whether cultivated or neglected, it must, and will, bring forth.  If no useful seeds are put into it, then an abundance of useless seeds will fall therein, and will continue to produce their kind."


So I will continue to rescue this plant with water.  I will continue to breath in the scriptures and rescue my mind and heart from the overgrowth of the world.

Welcome summer.  I have missed you.

1 comment:

mamabeck said...

I am am a plant killer.
I am a car gasper.
And I may be wilted, but I'm NOT dead.
I cannot tell you how this resonates with me.
What a great thought for today!!