Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Window to the Soul

"The eyes are the window to the soul."   This statement is so true.  It was so true today.  I looked into the eyes of someone and what I read there was loneliness and confusion.   I also saw someone who had been wounded and was weary.  Yet, as I looked again I saw a glimpse of joy...a small fleck, but there nonetheless.   I think I know what brought about the sense of joy, and I hope that it was enough to light a flame that will continue to burn away the other things I saw in those eyes. 

The human heart and soul has a depth like nothing I've ever known.  God's ability to stretch and fill that space is miraculous and the fact that we can't really "see" the soul makes it even more miraculous.  Looking into a person's  eyes can be proof enough there is a soul.  I was jolted by the fragility of it today.  It is hard to explain.  We can be tough and quite good at masking emotions and feelings, but it's quite difficult to really mask what is in your soul.  The eyes can show the loss of innocence.  They can show love, fear, joy, and sorrow. 

Years ago I had a "fever of unknown origin".  The doctors had no idea what was causing it.  I saw two different doctors and each ran every test they knew to run.  The last doctor I saw read my blood work results and sat there baffled.  I had been running a 101 degree fever for over two weeks.   My husband had taken a job in another state and had to move ahead of me, I was caring for a newborn baby, working full time and pregnant with number two on the way.  The fever was posing quite a problem because I was unable to take medication and therefore quite miserable.  The tests showed nothing.  I remember my doctor putting down my file and walking over to the exam table and standing in front of me with his hands on my shoulders he stared into my eyes for what seemed like an eternity.  He quietly told me to be very still and let him "look" at me.  He was looking into the one place he thought he might find the answer he was looking for....my eyes. 
I remember thinking that no doctor had ever taken the time to really look at me that way.  I honestly think he was one of the rare physicians who believes that not everything can be medically explained by science.  There are sometimes you need to resort to looking into the eyes of someone and trying to "see" what is underneath. 

I've only had one other similar experience with a physician over the years.  Sadly, many are so overworked and overscheduled that they don't have time to listen to their patients, much less look into their eyes.  Those two times I felt as if a doctor really wanted to find out exactly what was causing my physical issue.   They treated me as a whole person...knowing that sometimes there are other issues that are present that are causing physical reactions.  Emotions?  Stress? 

So "the eyes have it".  A play on words, yes.  I should say it "hit me between the eyes" today as I saw the eyes of another.  I pray that God will allow me to slow down long enough to really see others.   

No comments: