Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'd like to take a mulberry

Years ago (PK--pre-kids) I took up learning to play golf.  I really enjoyed it.  I got pregnant shortly after I started learning.  I took a lesson or two from a lady pro at one of the local golf clubs where we were living in Florida.  The first time I played an entire round of golf was in a real golf tournament!  Talk about just diving in the deep end!  Thank goodness it was a "best ball" tournament.  It was quite fun.  The funny thing was I was quite pregnant during my days of learning to play and I had to learn to maneuver my stomach.  One day while I was out playing 9 holes with my husband one evening, I missed my shot pretty badly.  Wanting to show him that I understood the game and "lingo" I told him I would just take a mulberry.  He stopped and looked at me (I suppose to see if I was serious...which I was!) and then started shaking his head and laughing.  He then proceeded to let me know that the correct term was "mulligan". 

Today was one of those days that you really wish you could call on a mulligan and get a complete "do over".  I went to work yesterday with a headache.  I did everything I could to be cautious and take something before it got worse, but it didn't make any difference.  It got worse as the day went on.  By the time the work day was complete I was a wreck.  We went out to dinner and I came home and crashed.  I went to sleep and had a very restless night.  I kept waking up due to the headache.  I slept a little later this morning hoping it would help, and woke up to find it was not gone.  It continued ALL DAY .  I did a load or two of laundry and hemmed some pants, but did not accomplish much else today.  It is now 10:00pm and my headache is finally gone!  I am so happy.  But, I would really like a do-over.  The one day to enjoy my family and get some things done at home.......gone.  Another treasured Saturday eaten up by a horrible headache. 

I am thankful I had today to rest and try to nurse the headache away.  The selfish part of me wishes I could get the day back.  There was nothing I could have done to change the fact that I have had a headache for two days.  It is what it is.  It does make me think about all the days that I would like to do over due to my own sinfulness.  I am so thankful that God's mercies are new EVERY morning.  We are truly fortunate and blessed to have a God who allows us to begin again.....every day....with a clean heart, a clean slate, and a fresh perspective. 

I guess instead of whining about losing today, I will look forward to tomorrow. 
Great is His faithfulness.

And...I think "mulberry" is a nicer term than "mulligan". 

1 comment:

lellielieb said...

I know what you mean. I have been trying to see each day as a gift from God. Some gifts I'd like to exchange, but that's not part of the deal. I figure He knows that the day brought something I'll need later, even if it doesn't seem so now.