Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wandering in the snow...

My mind has done a lot of wandering today.  There is something so peaceful about a cloudy day after it snows.  It allows you to move at a pace where you can actually hear your thoughts.  Sometimes I move so quickly through the day that I don't have time to listen to my own thoughts and really hear them.  Today is one of those days where it is okay to live in "stream of consciousness".  I'll never forget when my 11th grade English teacher introduced us to "stream of consciousness" writing.  I remember thinking...."There is a name for this condition I have!"  I have embraced it ever since.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and noticed the glow coming from my window behind my blinds.  I walked over to the window and pulled back the blinds and saw the beautiful ground covered with snow.  There was a faint peach colored glow coming off the snow from the moon and I could actually see the entire backyard and around the neighborhood.  Usually it is so dark at night you can't see, but because of the blanket of white on the ground I could see everything.  It was a glimpse into what it might be like to live in the extreme north where they have "white nights".  It was so peaceful.

Today I've been home with my girls because the roads are icy.  The fire has been going.  The girls played outside with the neighborhood children and spent hours sliding down the driveway across the street.  It has the perfect slope for sledding.  Thankfully, there was not traffic on our street today, except for one four-wheeler....and my poor husband who had to go to work today.  I have cleaned drawers, gone through books to give away, sorted lonesome socks who have lost their mates, baked brownies, made my children a hot lunch of chili and hot grilled ham and cheese sandwiches after playing in the snow, worked on grades, and washed a couple of loads of laundry.  I am sitting here now and I can look out my window and see the tops of the houses behind me covered in snow.  Smoke is rising from the chimney behind me, and the neighborhood is so quiet.  I heard the teenager across the street as he scraped and shoveled the snow off the perfectly sloped driveway.....no more sledding I suppose.  There is a delay in the morning also for school to try and allow the streets to dry.  There is so much to be done at work, yet, this unexpected respite in the middle of a week is such a blessing.  It calms the soul, gives me time to look out the window and enjoy God's artwork.  It is quite beautiful to watch the misting rain fall and the wind blow the snow from the few remaining leaves on the trees in my backyard.  I even hear a bird outside.  I feel sorry for it.  Suppose it's lost?

So thankful for this blanket of blessings.  I hope it won't be the last of the season.  I love how God slows us down and allows us to enjoy life.

My mind has wandered in the snow today.  In my mind I pretend I am in a cabin in the mountains....and the fire burns all night...real wood, not gas logs.  I wear flannel and warm socks and am sitting in an over stuffed chair with my cat.  I have a great book and a cup of coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.  No television.  Just music and books.  I know I have to come back, but for just a little while longer........I will wander in the snow.

No comments: