Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Blessing Beyond the Wall

This morning I was listening to the morning announcements and heard that there would be a time of worship during the high school lunch time.  They also announced that it would be in my room.  Surprise!  I had no idea....not that I minded, but I was very surprised.  I had no idea who organized the lunchtime worship.  The day progressed and I forgot about it.  Lunchtime rolled around and I went to my office to check email and eat a quick sandwich before the rest of the day descended upon me.  I finished returning some emails and then got my lunch bag out to eat.  It was then that heard the sounds of the piano coming from my choir 
room through the wall.   I knew the tune.  I knew the words.  All of them.  A few minutes later, I heard the singing. 

"This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long!
This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long!"

Really?  Were my ears deceiving me?  I was transported back to a place in my life where I found such joy.  Singing hymns in church as a child is one of my most vivid and precious memories.  It is these same songs I sang while rocking my children to sleep.  It is these songs that I sing when I'm in quiet time with my Lord.  These are the same songs that many teenagers (and adults) have never heard.

I got up from my desk and walked down the hall.  I didn't know who was in my room or how many I would find, but the sounds coming through the wall were beckoning me to come.

"Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blessed;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness lost in His love.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long."

The honesty and adoration I heard in the voices of the ten high school students in the room touched me deeply.  I worshipped with them.  I could not hold back the tears.  I listened to them read scripture and then I slipped out the door.  This was their time, and I did not want to intrude.  I don't think they would have thought my being there an intrusion, but I still wanted to give them their space, their independence, and their sweet time of fellowship with their God and their peers.

Before I left, a couple more students came in.  One slipped in quietly.  The other student looked a little uncomfortable and said (out loud), "I really don't think this is where I want to be right now."

As I slipped out the door I thought to myself, "But this is exactly where you need to be." 

The walls in my modular are thin.  Many times this is irritating and makes teaching difficult for all of us out there.   Today.....those thin walls were a blessing.

Blessed assurance!  Jesus is mine.....and theirs.

No comments: