Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And the stream is still flowing.....

My stream of consciousness has been in full swing over the last two days.  I have flitted from one thing to another simply because I could.  If I had a hankerin' to clean out a drawer, I did......then I went and made a cup of tea or coffee and curled up on the sofa with the cat.   I never did clean out my closet.  There are two that need attention.  I couldn't decide which one to go with, so I didn't do either.  A friend also told me no one would believe I'd cleaned it out anyway, so why bother?  That was the cowardly way out, I guess.  I did many other little chores over the last couple of days.  I can see some improvement in little places.  I made a date with my bathroom baseboards.  We cannot go that long without seeing each other again.  I washed all the bathroom rugs in the house and put everything down on a clean floors. 

I took a roast out of the freezer and prepared it to cook later.  I also had a pound of lean ground beef and had the desire to make a meatloaf.  I've always wanted to try and make a meatloaf without any bread, oats, or bread crumbs to see if I could make it low/no-carb.   Now I didn't know which one to make.  I had all day to decide.   I couldn't go anywhere.  My driveway is one solid sheet of ice and any hope of a shovel would not come until this evening.  (That's another story.  We are Floridians who prepare for hurricanes, not snow and ice storms.  I have plenty of batteries and water....but no shovel or scrapers.)   The hardware store assured us they would be in by noon today....along with the sleds that we did not have either.   So, I was stranded at the house....not that I was upset about this in the least.  I have enjoyed being snowed in.  It has been a blessing.  So, what did I cook for supper?  The roast?   The no/low carb meatloaf?  Why, I made them both!  I used a grated zucchini and Parmesan cheese with an egg as the binder.  It was pretty good.  I think I need more Parmesan cheese and maybe an additional egg.  It was a little to crumbly....tasty....but crumbly.  I served a salad, green beans, and creamed corn. 

On a side note, my dear husband came home at lunchtime with two shovels and two snow disks.  The girls played all day in the snow and ice.  They had so much fun sliding around everywhere.  By tonight it was too late to try and shovel the solid driveway.  Don't really know how that is going to play out tomorrow.  We shall see since we have to venture out to school and work tomorrow. 

I have really enjoyed my two days of house ahrest.  Yes, I spelled it correctly.  AH-rest. 

I've read.  I've cleaned.  I've cooked.  I've tried to create a new recipe.  I have loved being a mommy all day for two days!  I've smiled a lot.  I've made brownies.  I've made hot lunches for my children after playing in the freezing cold until their noses were solid red.  I've made hot chocolate after the second round of snow play.  I have bundled them up and found a new movie to watch.  I've made them practice their instruments.  I have listened to them laugh and play together in their rooms. 

I'm looking forward to seeing my students tomorrow.....but I will miss my home.  
I will miss my afternoon tea.
Maybe I will take a bag with me and try and make a cup sometime tomorrow as a reminder of these last two days. 

I look forward to another chance to wander in the snow.....and take a ride down the stream.

Until next time......

No comments: