Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving, rotten fruit, and the real Santa Claus

Freeze!  Time out!  That is what Thanksgiving is more and more as the years go by.  It is a pit stop in the middle of a race through the December.  The nature of my job makes December extra busy beyond the normal busyness.  But, I enjoy sharing about God's gift to the world through music during this time of year.  Some of the most beautiful music is Christmas music and Advent music.  Thanksgiving comes at just the right time.....time to take a time out and yell  "Freeze!" much like we did when we were kids.  It also brings back lots of memories.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  

I bought some clementines at the grocery store this past weekend.  I love oranges and tangerines.  I grew up in Florida and was spoiled to have about six orange trees, two grapefruit trees, and one tangerine tree right in my backyard.  Of course while I was growing up I didn't realize how lucky I was.  It was hard to count myself "blessed" when I had to go around the backyard every Saturday with a heavy duty black trash bag and pick up all the rotten fruit that fell to the ground.  The longer you waited to pick it up, the mushier it became.  I would reach under the tree and pick up a piece of fruit, only to have my fingers go straight through the rind.  Yeah...yuck and "ewwww" is right.  But as I sit here and eat my little clementine, I remember coming home from school and my mother cutting a whole in the top on an orange picked right off the tree so I could squeeze and suck the juice out of it.  I also remember my Daddy getting up on Saturday mornings, or on special occasions and squeezing a gallon of fresh orange juice with the pulp still in it.  Mmmm.  Nothing like fresh squeezed juice.  Now as I go to the store and look at the citrus, I have a very hard time buying any.  I do every now and then because I crave it...but it is never quite as delicious as it was at home.

I also have such fond memories about Thanksgiving growing up.  It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.  The T.V. doesn't budge from the parade channel until I see him.  He's the real one, you know.  All those other Santa's out there are fake.  But the Santa in the Macy's parade is the real deal....the big guy.  I love watching all the dancers, the singers, and the helium balloons.  Sadly, the performers over the years from the "pop" world aren't as good as they used to be, but I still look for Kermit, and some of my favorite "non-human" performers.  I always laugh at the hundreds of John Jacobson "show choir" singers and dancers, and I love the Rockettes.  

Our family has it's favorite additions to the meal.  We have the best dressin' in the world that my Mother has always made and now I make it for my family.  We also love deviled eggs, sweet potato pie, and lots of other things.  One thing we always laugh about is our preference for the cranberry sauce....the kind that comes in a can.....with no berries.  The jellied cranberry sauce that looks like the can when it comes out and makes that special sound when it releases from the can...."thhhhhhhhlop".   Yes, I know people make home made cranberry sauce and have special recipes, etc...but I just have a special love affair with good old Ocean Spray.  :)  It's also a lot less stressful!

Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without a nice long nap.  I think I am really looking forward to that the most.  It's nippy here in North Carolina.  I have the fire going.  I'm lonesome for my family.  I have lots of great memories in my mind that will keep me company.    Comfort.  That is what Thanksgiving is.  Pure comfort.  Time to "freeze"....time to reflect....time to count my many blessings and praise my heavenly Father for his never-ending love.  I am spoiled.  Truly spoiled by Jesus.

Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

lellielieb said...

So glad to see you survived. I thought of you all morning. Your thanksgiving sounds lovely. You deserve a wonderful rest before the race. Love you!

Matt Church said...

Right there with you and the canned, jellied cranberry sauce. It's perfect and I gotta have it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.