Thursday, October 7, 2010

Internal or external

I read this morning about Noah.  I was trying to imagine the world being so evil and corrupt that there was no good inside anyone at all.  In Genesis 6:5 it says, 

"The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."

I know I am sinful, but thank the Lord that I am saved and forgiven and have Christ living in me.  At least some of the time my thoughts aren't evil.  Everyone struggles with both internal and external sin.  I think that if we spent more time on our thought life, our external sins would be less.  I also read that we should live daily to have a "mind held captive to Christ."  That sure would solve everything....or at least begin to make a dent in our fallen souls.  I am so thankful that Christ died for me and took all my nastiness on Himself in order to allow me the privilege of having this relationship with Him.  Yes, at times it is a struggle.  At times it is really tough.  But look at the alternative-----"every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time."   

I let my evil nature spill out anger on to my daughter yesterday.  Even though she was forgetful.....I had no right......no cause.......and really NO REASON OR EXCUSE to spill my own frustrations out on her.  If only I could show a spec of the patience (makrothumia--Greek word....look it up. Very interesting) that God shows me minute by minute of every day.   Thankfully my precious daughter forgave me.  
I love her.  I really really love her.  I thank God for showing me how much of a fool I am at times.

I am very thankful for God's grace yesterday, today, and I know.......tomorrow.


1 comment:

lellielieb said...

Amen! I've been reading Beowulf with the ninth grade. Their society was almost as bad as Noah's. I've done a lot of thinking about the difference Jesus makes, or should make in my life and society. I, too, am so thankful for the forgiveness of my children!