Monday, October 25, 2010

Could you keep it down a little?

Nothing deeply profound to talk about today....just a bit of a written rant.  Is it just me, or are young people today louder than they used to be?  There is also a feeling of entitlement and arrogance that I have noticed growing "louder" over the last few years.  I have been teaching for almost 20 years.  I can remember a time when it was understood that when one enters a building--a place of business, worship, or school--he/she enters and speaks at a normal, quiet level, so as not to disturb things that might be in progress.  I know that children learn the difference between "inside voices" and "outside voices".  When did it become acceptable to yell/scream/holler inside a building?  To top it all off, when it is brought to their attention, they simply ignore the request to lower their volume and continue on at the same level.  They don't even realize they are speaking so loudly....it is their normal way of acting on a daily basis.  The volume is bad enough, but the disrespect upon being asked to lower the volume by continuing to "own their territory" by their volume and behavior is what is disturbing.

I believe the noise is a symptom of a much deeper problem.  When I enter a building, I tend to enter quietly.  I don't know exactly what is going on inside the establishment and I was taught that one should always use their "inside voice".  I hate going to stores, restaurants, and other places where people are carrying on at such a volume that I cannot even talk to the person I am with, much less enjoy time by myself.  Cell phone usage is out of control in public establishments....and people on the phones are talking much louder than they would to someone sitting next to them.   The thing that I just can't get over is the noise level inside.  The students who have lockers in my building are very loud.  You can hear them coming down the sidewalk....and understand what they are saying....while they are still outside.  They then proceed to BUST in the door and continue their conversations and a decibel level that is just not acceptable.  In order to get their attention, one literally has to yell over them in order to be heard.  It isn't just my building, it's everywhere.  It isn't just school, it's everywhere!  What is going on?  Are kids losing their hearing?  Are they so out of control that they do not have enough manners to speak quietly and in a normal tone of voice.  There are NO normal conversations happening.  They are all very loud and very bold. 

I'm weary.  I feel like they look at me as if I'm always getting on to them for being loud.  I purposely avoid areas and places that I find it so out of control.  I feel as if I am the only one who ever comments on their volume....at least that is the reaction I receive from the noisy bunch.  So why are they so bold?  There is no consideration for others.  None.  The fact that people are working or a class is going on does not enter their mind.  I think our society has become so self centered that we hardly ever consider others before ourselves.

I really don't know where to begin to solve this issue.  For the time being I guess I will be the "mean lady" who always tells them to "lower their voices"....and keep a bottle of Advil handy.

 

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I can only imagine the modular walls reverberate the volume. I also remember when people were respectful even when they entered a room and two people were talking, now they just enter the conversation whether invited or not. I think I'm getting old and becoming what my mother was. Guess that's not such a bad thing. Let's keep our standard high but not let it rob our joy.