Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lessons in the Night

One night about three years ago I had a hilarious experience.  My children were in first and second grades at the time.  We went to sleep that night and all was well.  Around 2:00 am we were awakened suddenly with a loud, "Surprise!!!"   Well, being 2:00 am, we were in that stage of sleep where we were startled awake--- not exactly sure what was going on.   We opened our eyes and noticed the room was completely dark.  We heard laughter and giggles and a few more "surprise" outbursts.   As our vision came into focus, we saw two small figures standing in the doorway of our room, fully dressed with backpacks on their backs!  My husband (not thinking at a all!!) began to lay into them with a pretty big tongue lashing!  I quickly stepped in.   With my hand on his chest to silence him gently, I said, "Wow!  You are already dressed!  We are so proud of you.  But girls.....it's 2:00 in the morning.   That is the middle of the night.   You need to go back to bed for a little while and then you can do this again!"

They were so excited when they went to bed that night.  I wondered what they were up to.  They had decided to surprise us and show us that they could get up and get dressed on their own without us telling them to.  I guess in their excitement, they forgot to look at the clock.  One of them (the oldest) had awakened in the night and remembered their "secret plan" to surprise us and just figured it was time!
They not only had their clothes laid out and ready, but their backpacks as well.

It reminds me of the parable of the ten virgins.  (Matthew 25)  The ones who took their oil with them were truly ready.  They were truly saved.  They not only lived a life that looked like a Christian, but they truly had the Holy Spirit living inside them.  The others were caught off guard and when the bridegroom arrived they realized they had no "oil".  They first tried to get their oil from the others.  We can't ride on the coat tails of others.  Jesus will not know us.  We aren't His.  Then they tried to frantically run and find or buy some oil.  It just doesn't work that way.  We must be ready.  Always.  Our lamps must be full.  We must be filled with the Holy Spirit, walking with Him, truly His.  When He comes for us, we will know Him. We will be ready!   I want to be so ready that I don't have to focus my eyesight and try to figure out if it's Him!  I want to recognize His voice, His face, and be standing at the door, fully dressed....with my backpack on!  

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon."   Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.  ~Rev. 22:20



No comments: