Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer Songs

Finally.  I am a beginning to see it coming.  Summer.  I have been longing for it, but unable to allow myself the time to really get excited about it.   Tomorrow is the last day of school.....for the students.  They are, after all the reason we are there!  Everything we do after they leave is about tying up the loose ends, entering grades, cleaning rooms, and storing things away for the fall....all the while we are planning and dreaming of the fall.  (really, we are!)  We dream of the things we will do differently, things we will do better, and new things to try!

One of my fun things I like to do at the end of the year is to take my two daughters to the bookstore on the way home from their last day of school.  I'll never forget the first time I did this.  I was so excited!  I got them in the car and we left school singing and cheering for summer!  I told them I had a surprise!  We drove up to Books-A-Million and I told them we were buying books for the summer.  They were thrilled...until they realized that the books I was referring to were summer WORKbooks.  Their singing and cheering quickly took a nosedive.  Even though they didn't get the type of books they were expecting, it still brought me a bit of excitement.  I love "homeschooling" during the summer.  Every morning they start their day in their workbooks.  After they complete their daily activity, they are free to go outside and we will also go to the pool.  There is also something satisfying and cleansing about getting my home in order after an avalanche of chaos.  My refrigerator needs rescuing, my pantry is calling for organization, my laundry baskets are not separated by colors right now and my closets are frightening.  Then there is the other side of me.  My piano needs playing, games that haven't been out of the box in months, bedtime stories that need to be shared, lightening bugs that need to be caught, books that need to be read, and miles to go before I sleep.

I still have a few more days full of jobs that will sign my name to the year.  Once that is finished I plan to make my trip to the bookstore and celebrate!

2 comments:

lellielieb said...

Wow! Your laundry baskets are sometimes sorted by color? Enjoy your shopping tomorrow!

Planting Daisies said...

Well, at least dark, white and color(s)....right now it's just two piles.....dirty and clean...and the clean pile is awfully pitiful.