Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weeds

Wisdom from Above
James 3:13-18
Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace
.

I want peace....on so many levels.

I have realized lately that my mothering needs more urgency. I see time slipping away every day in the faces of my children, and wonder how much I have wasted and lost already.
I see traits in my children that seem to be popping up likes weeds....and to be honest, I do not like what I see growing. I feel like a gardener who goes outside to water the garden one day, only to find that when he wasn't looking, it was taken over by weeds.

So, these traits that are budding rather rapidly in the middle of my daisy bushes are beginning to bother me. Selfishness, greed, manipulation.....and all the while, the peace I long for is slipping away. I must get a handle on it! I must get out the "weed-be gone" and "round-up" the Fruits of the Spirit!

As I begin thinking about what to do about these traits I see growing rapidly and out of control, I find myself focusing on the negative.....becoming more irritable.....less peaceful. James warned us about this "disorder" that will erupt. It is spilling over into every open area of our lives. Everything becomes vulnerable. Instead of modeling peace and wisdom, I become irritable, aggravated, impatient and sometimes even angry. I allow the weeds to choke me. I am such a weak human! I am no better than they are.

I realize my reactions are based upon lack of watering in my own garden. You see, James said that wisdom from above is first pure. Talk about a slap in the face. How in the world am I supposed to show good conduct and model the traits I want my children to have if I am not modeling from wisdom that is pure. No wonder we are lacking peacefulness and gentleness, and no one is reasonable, there is no mercy among us. I must back up and start from the very beginning....my own purity.

So as I try to rid my children of these weeds, I must first take care of my own garden. I will move straight to the Fruits of the Spirit, and stop focusing on the weeds. Tending the fruits will choke the weeds.......

and peace will return.

All this has made me thirsty.

No comments: