Thursday, January 1, 2009

Out with the old.....


Well, I ate my black-eyed peas today, did you? I expect this year to be more prosperous than last! I also did not do one load of laundry today, lest a member of the family be "washed away" over the next few months.


There are so many funny customs....some pretty cooky! Check out this link and read some for yourselves. Very interesting stuff. You might find out the reasons behind your own silly and fun customs.


We decorated gingerbread men today. It is still Christmastime after all, right? Today would be the "8th day of Christmas"--which is the "maids a-milking". Do you know what the maids-a-milking represent? They represent the 8 beatitudes listed in the Sermon on the Mount. Some people might not realize that "The Twelve Days of Christmas" actually has religious meanings behind each verse. Early Catholics in England were prohibited to practice their faith. The song was written to help young Catholics learn the basics of their faith through coded messages or memory aids.


So, I digress. As I was saying, we decorated gingerbread men today, took down the Christmas tree (a day late because I've been sick and literally forgot because I haven't been downstairs!!), did no laundry, ate our black-eyed peas and began our family challenge to read the Bible every day this year. The girls each had their assignment and it was completed this evening.


For some reason I'm blue today. New Year's Day has always been an exciting day for me, or at least a day of gearing up for something new and exciting....feeling fresh and renewed. Not this year. I don't really know why. I'm still working through this melancholy. It could be lots of things.


I'm missing my family. My parents and my brother live far away.....his girls are growing up and don't know me very well. I get very sad when I think of all I am missing. God has a plan for my life and I am trying to walk in His will....but it seems to have me walking away from those I love so dearly. Friendships of old that are also so dear to me are not in my grasp or sight. Time just keeps moving on, and so do their lives...without me.


I guess I need to take a dose of my own medicine and plant a few more daisies where I am. The ones that have been planted are wilting. I haven't been "willing" them to grow and blossom. There are some that have blossomed quite beautifully. Those I have planted in my children and around my children's lives are blooming beautifully. I am thankful for that. I praise God for that.


I will choose to be grateful for time spent with people, even if it is much shorter than I would like.


I will choose to cultivate my relationship with God more deeply and more consistently. I think in focusing on this one thing and only this one thing, all the rest will fall into place.....


The melancholy will fade...


The sadness will ease....


and the daisies will grow.


1 comment:

JATB said...

Mmm. I love gingerbread! Sounds like fun.

Hoping the melancholy fades for you soon.

Today is the Ninth Day of Christmas. Nine ladies dancing! Get your dancing shoes on!