Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Grocery Shopping

We made it back from Florida to find an empty refrigerator. We got home late Saturday evening, partially unpacked, and went to bed. I had to be at church at 7:45am to play for the early service and then the day just unfolded into its usual Sunday schedule which left no time for the grocery store.

Monday morning, we got up and I decided to brave the grocery trip. The girls were in rare form...very giggly and much like little bulls in a china shop. So, you can imagine my DREAD of the trip. It was early, so I knew that there wouldn't be many people in the store.....maybe they won't run into anyone as they go twirling down the aisles like a ballet stage....but then the picture flashed in my mind of the neatly stacked cans tumbling to the floor and rolling all over the place as one of them (or both) twirled right into the canned vegetables.....(shudder)

Then it hit me.....let them do the shopping!!!! So I began the lists. Each girl got their own grocery list with specific details that would require careful reading and following of directions.



tea bags--decaf in green box....family-sized.....either
Luzianne or Lipton....decide which is cheaper or on sale today

cucumbers--three or four....medium-sized ones, not too big
(the bigger ones don't taste as good)

paper plates--bottom row....large bag....heaviest plates
(Chinet)

cat food--14 small cans for two weeks worth...only "flaked"
types...no gravy (upsets Lucy's stomach)

bananas--not too ripe, a little green so they'll last
longer

grapes--red, not green, make sure they aren't squishy which
means they are going bad

butter milk--half gallon....non-fat
There was more, but this is just a good example of things they had to  get.  Yes, I know that I didn't write them in the way I would have done my grocery shopping. I would have started with the produce section and worked my way over to the frozen foods. I had them going all over the store (sometimes from one side to the other) looking for each item on their list. Each took their own basket (Not a cart!!! Can you EVEN imagine that?? I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!!) and they went off on their hunt.  Can I just say....it was glorious! There was hardly anyone in the store and I told them exactly where I would be---working my way one aisle at a time across the store for the other items.  It passed the time, kept them busy and was the best idea yet. I've done this before by allowing them to each go pick up one or two items and meet me at the check out counter when we only needed a couple of things on a short trip, but I've never done this on a big trip.  They met the challenge with a determined and quite mature enthusiasm. They read the directions and got the correct items, checking prices, sizes, etc....And not one can fell on the floor!!!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

great blog post! Hope you don't mind if I check in every now and then, I just love other busy mom blogs!