Sunday, November 2, 2008

New Dresses...New Attitudes


Well, the dresses speak for themselves. Don't you just love a really good sale? The kind where you get two for the price of one? In today's economy, I just get a little giddy over them! So, when I went to Meredith's closet to get out some fall things and NOTHING fit her, I happened upon the great 50% off sale at dear old Penny's. So each girl got two dresses to last the season.


On to the new ATTITUDE. Even with the extra hour of sleep, it seemed my oldest was in a rare funk this morning and decided to have an attitude.....and not a very good one. This is very unlike her. She is usually very pleasant and happy. After two soft reprimands on the way to church about her attitude (isn't that typical....always on the way to church), she had reached her limit in my book. She decides to try and turn the tide by asking if I'd like her to read me a Bible verse.....and I ever so sarcasitically (sinfully) said, "Maybe you ought to read yourself a Bible verse." (I know, uncalled for, but timely)


"Tell me where to look", she says.


"Anywhere!", I quipped.


"Anywhere? Can't you just TELL me where to read from?"


"Proverbs! Read from Proverbs. Anything from there will help you!", I said.


So she opens her Bible and reads from Proverbs with conviction....



"Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler;
whoever is led astray by them is not wise." Proverbs 20:1



Now, that may not be a funny verse, but after all the attitude from the child, and the sarcasm from the Mother.....I just cracked up in hysterical laughter. Of all the verses for her to read.....


Maybe next time, I'll worry more about my own attitude and give her a verse to read and not just send her to the Word with no guidance. Afterall, isn't that our job as parents?


Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.


Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.


This leads me to another point. In order for us to lead our children to the Word and to scriptures for daily instruction, we must first be knowledgable in the scripture ourselves.

I think today's adults are lazy...and I include myself in that assumption. We have scripture at our fingertips. Literally. We can pick up our Bible (the good OLD FASHIONED way), we can listen to the Bible on CD in our cars "on the fly" and "on the go", and we can go to our computer and find Bible websites that allow us to type in key words that take us directly to the passage or scripture we are looking for. It's so easy. Almost too easy. This wonderful technology has made us lazy in memorizing scripture. We can just open our laptop, pop in a CD, do a quick search and there it is.


It scares me to think that I'll be sitting with someone trying to witness to them someday, and want to quote and share a particular scripture passage and will instinctively want to reach for my laptop and not my Bible. It also scares me to think that I have wasted so much time searching but never memorizing.


A friend sent me a devotion recently on the importance of memorizing scripture. The devotion came within a day of me having this same conversation with myself about laziness in memorizing scripture. God is placing seeds along the way on a daily basis. We have Bibles (plural) in our possession in every translation available.


I say lets turn off the CD, close up the laptop, and get out our Bible and some good old fashioned index cards and....


"Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." ~ Deuteronomy 6:7-9




4 comments:

bcole said...

Amen and amen!!! Scripture memory & meditation on scripture are right up there with REAL prayer (not the 30 sec. "quickies") as the most unused tools in the Christian's toolbox.
Bill

jvln09 said...

hahaha Meredith..... she's awesome

Our Happy Little Family said...

That is a cute story!!! My little one makes me laugh like that regularly, it is good to know that it will only get better as she gets older.

Rebekah said...

I love this-- not only for the words that warmed my heart when you lived here, but for the conversation with you and the oldest! :) Could you have selected anything funnier if she had looked for hours!?