Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Lord's Day

Today is the Lord's day. I woke up very early because I had to be at church before 8:00 am. I left everyone in my house asleep....and sick. Seems my oldest came down with swimmer's ear after practically living in the ocean and pool for 4 days.  My youngest has some strange virus that caused a horrible head cold.  Then there is my husband who began coughing, sneezing and moaning yesterday. I feel terrible for him. I guess he caught it from our youngest.  So, I tip-toe out of the house around 7:30 and go to church.

The pastor preached on Psalm 51 today.  It was David's heart-felt confession to the Lord. I've always thought this was a beautiful picture of brokeness and transparency before God. I am especially moved by the passage in verse 8:

8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

Sin had caused a deafness in David's soul. This is so evident on our culture today. So many suffer from depression....a type of depression that is a result of being lost in sin. I am not referring to clinical depression, but I am referring to depression caused by being so lost in sin that one cannot hear or feel joy. What a sad place to find oneself.

I was also moved by verse 14 and 15:

14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.

Our sin causes us to be unable to praise God. When we confess our sins and He cleanses us....our lips are "unsealed" and we are once again able to sing the praise of our Lord. When our prayer life seems stale, we should pray for God to reveal hidden sin in our life so that we may unlock the flow of praise that should flow freely from a righteous life.

I watched our pastor begin clapping during a song of praise this morning entitled, "Sing To The King". Clapping doesn't bother me when it is out of true joy and praise. It's the clapping without knowledge of what one is really singing about that bothers me.  I guess you'd call them the "beat-keepers."  Our pastor began clapping during a portion of the song that proclaimed, 

"Come let us sing a song, a song declaring we belong to Jesus.   He is all we need. 
 Lift now a heart of praise.  Sing now, with voices raised to Jesus.  Sing to the King!"

Our pastor doesn't always clap. So I guess that is why it struck me so today. He actually encouraged others to do the same and then spoke about our heart of praise.  He was also moved by the singing of "How Great Thou Art" today which is one of my all-time favorite hymns. As I accompanied this hymn I was meditating on the profound meaning behind the words:


"Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee, 'How Great Thou Art!' "

Do we really love Him that much that our very SOUL just HAS to sing?  We love Him so much that our soul cannot do anything but sing!

The pastor spoke about how many people don't get anything out of church today. They complain about the preaching, the music, and say that they just aren't getting anything out of it. He asked us "What did you put into the sermon this week? What did you put into your soul this week? Did you come expecting to meet God today?"

My Daddy always told the choir that very same thing many nights at choir rehearsals. We must come expecting to meet God, and God will bless us with something in the service even if things aren't the best.

So as I go throughout this week, I pray that I will meet God in all my circumstances because I have an expectation that He will be there.  I pray that my sin won't keep me from experiencing the blessings that God has in store for me....

so that God can unseal my lips to praise Him,
so that I can hear joy and gladness,
so that my soul can sing......"How Great Thou Art!"


No comments: